Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in the position of primary stress in each of the following questions.
|A. confident||B. important||C. together||D. exciting|
|A. control||B. patrol||C. idol||D. extol|
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word that differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
|3.||A. borrow||B. neighbor||C. stapler||D. harbor|
|A. parallel||B. label||C. vessel||D. chapel|
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer
5. Mai got up late and rushed to the bus stop.
|A. came into||B. went leisurely||C. went quickly||D. dropped by|
6. Whenever problems come up, we discuss them frankly and find solution quickly.
|A. happen||B. encounter||C. arrive||D. clean|
7. – “Where is Dung?” – “He is ___ work. He is busy ___ his monthly report.
|A. on/for||B. in/about||C. to/through||D. at/with|
8. When Thao ___ last night, I ___ my favorite show on television.
|A. was calling/watched||B. called/have watched||C. called/was watching||D. had called/watched|
9. All of the students are ___ to pass the entrance examination in order to attend the university.
|A. obsessed||B. obliged||C. obtained||D. observed|
10. Most adjectives can be used to ___ a noun.
|A. precede||B. advance||C. occur||D. stand|
11. He ___ for that company for five months when it went bankrupt.
|A. has been working||B. has worked||C. had been working||D. was working|
12. At this time next week, all of the students ___ for their examination.
|A. will be sat||B. have been sitting||C. have sat||D. will be sitting|
13. He can’t go out because he ___ his work.
|A. doesn’t finish||B. hasn’t finished||C. didn’t finish||D. hadn’t finished|
14. If she had known how awful this job was going to be, she ___ it.
|A. would accept||B. wouldn’t||C. wouldn’t have accepted||D. would have accepted|
15. Body language is a form of ___ communication.
|A. verbal||B. non-verbal||C. tongue||D. oral|
16. –“What an attractive hair style you have got, Hoa!” – “_______”
|A. Thank you very much. I’m afraid||B. You are telling a lie|
|C. Thank you for your compliment||D. I don’t like your sayings|
17. The mother told her son ___ so impolitely.
|A. not behave||B. not to behave||C. not behaving||D. did not behave|
18. Linh said she had worked on the assignment since ___.
|A. yesterday||B. two days ago||C. the day before||D. the next day|
19. Manh asked me ___ that film the night before.
|A. that I saw||B. had I seen||C. if I had seen||D. if had I seen|
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
20. The oil price is believing to be rising again.
A B C D
21. Now that I’ve become old, I can’t read as quickas I used to.
A B C D
22. Phuong refused taking the job given to her because the salary was not good.
A B C D
23. Each of the members of the group were made to write a report every week.
A B C D
Read the following passage and choose the best option.
Halloween is one of the most famous holidays in the U.S, and it is on October 31. People carve pumpkins and make funny faces on them. These are called “Jack-O-Lantern”. On October 31, children wear a special costume such a witch, ghost, or clown. They go to many houses and they knock on the door saying, “Trick or Treat!” It means that of people don’t give them a treat, they will play some kind of trick on the household. So, usually people give candy to them.
I carved my first Halloween pumpkin at my Friendship Family’s house. First, I cut open the top of the pumpkin and pulled the seeds out. It was not good for me because it was sticky and smelled bad. I had never carved a pumpkin, so it was interesting for me. Next, I carved the eyes and the mouth. I wanted to make a face like a pirate. When I finished making the face, I put a candle inside. It was very beautiful, so I was happy.
I had a good experience because I learned one new idea about American culture by taking part in it. I think Halloween is an interesting American holiday which involves all family members and neighbors too!
24. Which is TRUE about Halloween?
|A. Children rarely say, “Trick or treat!”|
|B. Stores sell many costumes, pumpkins and candles|
|C. Children receive gifts from their parents|
|D. children wear a special costume such as a witch, ghost, or clown.|
25. The word “these” refers to __________
|A. pumpkins||B. faces||C. funny faces||D. Jack-O-Lantern|
26. What is the first step in making a Jack-O-Lantern?
|A. Carve the face||B. Pull out the seeds|
|C. Put a candle inside||D. Cut open the top of the pumpkin|
27. Which is NOT true about a Jack-O-Lantern?
|A. It is made from a pumpkin.||B. You should have a knife to make it.|
|C. You fill it with a candy for children.||D. You should light a candle inside it to make it beautiful.|
28. The author had a good experience of American culture by __________
|A. playing some kind of trick on the household in Halloween|
|B. living in America|
|C. making a Jack-O-Lantern|
|D. going to many houses on Halloween|
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to complete the sentence.
29. Ha started working as a cashier five years ago.
|A. Ha has been working as a cashier for five years.|
|B. Ha had been working as a cashier for five years.|
|C. Ha had worked as a cashier for five years.|
|D. Ha has worked as a cashier since five years.|
30. It is thought that the prisoner escaped climbing over the wall.
|A. People think that the prisoner was escaped climbing over the wall|
|B. It is thought that the prisoner was escaped climbing over the wall|
|C. The prisoner is thought to have escaped climbing over the wall|
|D. The prisoner was thought to have escaped climbing over the wall|
31. They can’t make tea with cold water.
|A. Tea can’t be made with cold water.|
|B. Tea can be enjoyed with cold water.|
|C. Tea can’t be made with hot water.|
|D. Tea can be made with cold water.|
32. Minh finished the test 5 minutes ago.
|A. The test is being finished 5 minutes ago.|
|B. The test was being finished 5 minutes ago.|
|C. The test was finished 5 minutes ago.|
|D. The test be finished 5 minutes ago.|
33. “You’d better pay more attention to your study, Ha”
|A. Son Tung blamed Ha for paying more attention to her study.|
|B. Son Tung invited Ha to pay more attention to her study.|
|C. Son Tung ordered Ha to pay more attention to her study.|
|D. Son Tung advised Ha to pay more attention to her study.|
34. “Can you lend me some money, Quang?”
|A. Ngoc asked Quang if she could lend his some money.|
|B. Ngoc asked Quang if he could lend her some money.|
|C. Ngoc asked Quang if could he lend her some money.|
|D. Ngoc asked Quang if you could lend her some money.|
35. I have someone wash my motorbike once a week.
|A. I have my motorbike wash once a week.|
|B. I had my motorbike washed once a week.|
|C. I have my motorbike washed once a week.|
|D. I have my motorbike to wash once a week.|
Read the following passage and choose the best option to complete the passage.
Five years ago Rachel Lopez graduated from college with a degree in History. Today, she works for a large software company. Now 27, Rachel is (36) ___ classes twice a week after work. She is learning to use the computer program Power Point. “I enjoyed college, but my job does not use information I learned when I was doing my degree”, Rachel says. “This (37) ___ is helping me to do my job better. In the future, I might go back to school and get an MBA”.
In the past, when students graduated from college and got a job, they usually stopped (38) ___. Today, lifelong learning is becoming more (39) ___. In the US, people can return to school in their late 20s, 30s, or older to get a higher degree such as a Master or Ph.D. like Rachel, many more are taking training course to (40) ___ their skills. With many classes now available on the Internet, it is easier to get degrees by distance learning.
|36.||A. finding||B. taking||C. going||D. teaching|
|37.||A. program||B. file||C. one||D. course|
|A. to study||B. studying||C. studied||D. to be studying|
|39.||A. popular||B. enjoyed||C. loved||D. common|
|40.||A. improve||B. higher||C. rise||D. raise|