National high school exam test time 90 minutes English for free download
PRACTICE TEST 1
Identify the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the others.
- A. privacy B. flight C. recycle D. vivid
- A. introduce B. huge C. flute D. cute
- A. ballet B. inlet C. buffet D. stay
Identify the word that has the stress pattern different from that of the other words.
- A. elegant B. array C. departure D. inherit
- A. belief B. dinosaur C. argument D. challenge
Choose the right word or phrase to complete the sentences.
6. The news was to them that they were all dead silent.
A. such shock B. such a shock C. so shock D. too shock
7. In the United States the states but Hawaii is an island.
A. none of B. neither of C. all of D. no of
8. What a ! I have left the umbrella at home and now it starts raining.
A. complaint B. sorry C. shame D. regret
9. are forms of carbon has been known since the late 18th century.
A. Diamonds B. Diamonds, which C. Because diamonds D. That diamonds
10. “Which blouse do you like best?” “ The one .”
A. I tried it on first B. I tried on first C. I tried on it first D. I tried it on firstly
11. We would rather Helen us all the information we needed. We should have been well informed.
A. sent B. send C. had sent D. have sent
12. Sorry, my father is out. Can I a message?
A. leave B. take C. put D. make
13. pollution control measures are expensive, many industries hesitate to adopt them.
A. Because B. Although C. However D. On account of
14. Income tax rates are usually to one’s annual income.
A. dependent B. associated C. adapted D. related
15. The majority of primary school teachers women.
A. is B. are C. includes D. including
16. The restaurant is very popular with film stars, artists, and the .
A. same B. similar C. such D. like
17. There are different styles in classical music, on when the music was composed.
A. depend B. depending C. depends D. depended
18. His house is nothing out of the ; it’s just an average four- room house.
A. normal B. typical C. ordinary D. usual
19. “ Let me see. Will five o’clock do?” the nurse answered the patient who wanted an appoinment.
The most appropriate response is “ .”
A. Exactly! B. Not at all C. Maybe, it will D. Fine
20. “ That trumpet player was certainly loud.” “ I wasn’t bothered by his loudness by his lack of talent.”
A. so much as B. rather than C. as D. than
21. This magazine is very good. If you like reading, you should to it.
A. contribute B. enroll C. buy D. subscribe
22. the Prime Minister stressed that lack of trained personnel would the progress of Third Development Plan.
A. overcome B. retard C. increase D. detect
23. We asked him to go back, but he insisted on watching the sun coming down at .
A. sunrise B. dawn C. noon D. dusk
24. today, there would be nowhere for them to stay.
A. Were they to arrive B. If they arrive C. Had they arrive D. Provided they arrived